Saturday, September 29, 2012

M.I.S.T. Campaign: Session 49



At least I had the foresight to take a firm hold of a rope as we entered the labyrinth.  It likely saved me another trip overboard.  This time because a serpent burrowed up from the sandy ground and burst through the labyrinth’s shallow waters to attack us.  Almost running us aground in the process.

Naturally Cindy wasted little time in leaping to attack.  Which turned out…not to be the best of ideas.  It left Duamatef vulnerable.  That made one thing suddenly, and abundantly, clear.  With the girls protecting the Deities of the Canopic Jars, and Andrew guiding the ritual, I was the only one truly free to deal with the serpent.

So I told them to get out of there.  I’d take the snake while they got to safety.  Is it reckless of me?  Certainly.  It’s stronger and tougher than I am, more agile than Cindy.  It’s more powerful than anything I could reasonably be expected to handle on my own.

But it still looked like our best bet.

Besides, Marduk was ostensibly outmatched by Tiamat, and for all his strengths Zeus is not the engine of destruction that Typhon is.  Yet both gods defeated those foes.  Even if it is mutual, my uncle Jormungand is fated to fall to Thor.  Hino unceasingly hunts the horned serpents, and should he find them there death is inevitable.  Though Andrew was the one that finalized the mystical bindings it was my father who weakened Kur enough to be bound by a pair of Demigods, and I was the one that wrapped him in the chain Gleipnir.

It is a theme that echoes across tales, cultures, and time.  Dragons fall like autumn leaves in a gale before those who lord over such winds.  I will simply have to ensure that it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment